Graphical Encoding, often also called thematic viewing or plotting, allows variables (or themes) to be displayed using graphical entities of objects. Currently three entities are supported for both links and nodes. These are: Colour, Size or Width, and Text Label Size. The variables (or themes) include all input data plus selected results of the XPRafts analysis.
Encode - Encode causes the network to be redrawn with the currently selected "Graphical Encoding" Attributes. A "G" will be displayed in the status bar area of the network window (to the left of the bottom scroll bar) indicating the current view in which the network is drawn includes graphically encoded attributes.
Restore - This button will remove the graphical encoding attributes from the network window.
Load - This button allows you to load a pre-defined (saved) set of graphical encoding attributes.
Save - This button allows you to save the current attributes for re-use in this or other projects.
Cancel - This button cancels any changes to this dialog and restores the previous network view.
Three graphical entities - colour, size, and text height are available for each of the two object types. Click the links below to learn more about each variable:
The variable list displayed when one of these buttons is selected shows the data and results that are available for graphical encoding. If the variable selected has multiple instances (ie. Residential, Commercial, etc.), then a combination of Variable and Instances must be selected. To show all instances of a selected variable all combinations of Variable:Instance must be selected.
Hide Arrows - This check box causes the network to be redrawn with arrowheads suppressed.
Fill Nodes - This check box causes the network to be shown with nodes filled with a solid fill pattern of the selected Node Color.
Hide Link Labels - This check box causes the link labels not to be shown.
Legend - This check box allows a legend showing the graphical attributes to be shown on the network.
Arrange Items. The visual entities making up the graphical encoding may be arranged horizontally (in a single row), Vertically (in a single column) or Automatically (in a table depending on width and height requirements of each entity), depending on which radio button is selected.
Window Legend. The window legend is shown in a fixed location on the screen independent of panning or zooming.
- Show - When enabled a non-printable legend is shown on the screen.
- Display Size - The text in the window legend will be shown at the size (in mm or inches) entered in this field.
Network Legend. The network legend is shown in a fixed location on the network, regardless of the current window view. This legend is printed and plotted in the same manner as the network.
- Font - This allows you to specify the font in which you wish to display the window legend. The normal Windows conventions regarding bitmap and true type fonts are supported.
- Display - When selected the size of the text is in inches (mm) regardless of scale.
- Real World - When selected the text size is displayed relative to the network scale.
- Show Frame - When selected a rectangular frame is drawn around the legend.
- Show Heading - If this option is selected the legend title is shown.
- Opaque Legend - If this option is selected a legend title will be shown.