Failure Definitions are saved criteria used to separate failed assets from non-failure assets.


The Failure Definition tool may be found in the IA Operation Center, within the Analysis tab, under the Deterioration Model drop-down menu.  You can right-click the Failure Definition option to create a new definition.  Like many saved items in InfoAsset Planner, the ID must have no spaces or special characters, while the description has no character restrictions and is much easier to change later.


After creating or opening a Failure Definition, the main window will open.  You can specify what constitutes a pipe failure in your project.  This criteria can be leveraged in both Cohort and Regression analysis. 

For gravity mains in the Sewer network, failure criteria can be dictated based off CCTV (Survey Import), Work Manager (Service Requests, Inspections), and Likelihood of Failure data.  For pressurized mains in the Water network, the same Work Manager and Likelihood of Failure data are still available, but the Survey Import option is removed.  It is up to you to determine what type of data from these sources may be equivalent to a pipe failure.  The "Assume Missing Data as Non-Failure Data" option allows you to specify how many of the non-failed pipes should be included in the analysis.  For example, entering 100% assumes total confidence in non-failed pipes, while entering 80% assumes that 80% of the pipes have indeed not failed, but the other 20% will be excluded from the analysis.

  • Survey Import - Allows the user to specify which survey database to use and then which field from the calculated scores table to include in the analysis. Any recorded failures will match date the CCTV pipe survey was taken.

  • Service Request - Specific Types of Service Requests within the Work Manager can be associated as failed pipes.  The date of failure will the the same as the date of the recorded service request.
  • Inspection - Inspections within the Work Manager have a default field called 'Condition Score'.  This is a numerical field within which users can specify a custom score to help determine a pipe failure threshold.  The date of failure will equal the date of the inspection.

  • LOF - Allows you to specify failure criteria based off an LOF Analysis.  Note that because LOF tables do not have dates associated with them, the failure date will match the date the LOF was last run.  Because of this, it is highly recommended that users try to define failures from the other Failure Condition options before using this one.


After the criteria is set, you can click run to evaluate their Failure Definition.  This will produce a simple table within the IA Dashboard which simply shows each facility and the number of times a failure was recorded.  Multiple failures can be recorded for a single facility.