You can create a new InfoAsset Planner project by clicking thebutton in the InfoAsset Planner toolbar or selecting 'Create New Database' in the main InfoAsset Planner drop-down menu. This option is only available if an InfoAsset Planner project is not already open in ArcMap; if an InfoAsset Planner project is already open and recognized this option will be grayed out.
The following steps describe how to create a new InfoAsset Planner project using this option.
- From the InfoAsset Planner toolbar, click (If the InfoAsset Planner toolbar is not visible ensure the InfoAsset Planner extension is enabled by navigating to Customize -> Extensions. To turn on the InfoAsset Planner toolbar navigate to Customize->Toolbars and click on InfoAsset Planner.)
- After selecting to create a new InfoAsset Planner project, InfoAsset Planner will either prompt you to login using an existing system database or ask you to create a new system database. To create a new system database, select the ellipsis highlighted by the purple square in the screenshot below. Select the location of the new system database and be sure to click
This system database IS NOT the same as the project database where the actual modeling data is stored. For more information on the differences between the system database and project database, see our Knowledge Base resources. to create the system database.
- After specifying the system database, InfoAsset Planner may prompt you for a default username and password (Admin/Admin) for this new system database. Accept these defaults and change the Media File Location and/or Report Library Location if desired.
- Next, select the category for the created InfoAsset Planner project database. The category chosen will dictate which default tables will be added inside this new InfoAsset Planner project database. You may switch from Water to Sewer, Sewer to Water, or add custom networks regardless of the initial category chosen.
- Select the style of database to be used for this InfoAsset Planner project. Personal geodatabases are ESRI's original geodatabase format with limits on size and structure. For this reason, it is not recommended by Innovyze in most cases. File geodatabases are easily found via Windows Explorer and have no size limits. They are generally recommended as the best project database structure for most InfoAsset Planner projects. Enterprise geodatabase solutions are also available with Standard or greater licenses of ArcGIS. This geodatabase structure may be best for large utilities with many of you connecting to the InfoAsset Planner database.
- After selecting the database type, you will click the ellipsis highlighted by the red square to determine the location of the project database. This is where all the InfoAsset Planner analysis input, analysis, and result information will be stored.
- Once the project database line is complete, you must specify a coordinate system. This coordinate system will be linked to the map document used to show the database and all feature classes, shapefiles, polygons, etc. projected on the map document will be adapted on the fly to this coordinate system. It is very important to set this correctly because after this dialog is closed, it is very difficult to adjust.
- The final options require you to set a description for the new project database and check the box if short names must be enforce. Some project databases created within certain schemas (Oracle) must have fewer than 30 characters to name each table.
- Finally, click Create to create the templated, empty InfoAsset Planner project database. If any errors arise, please contact Innovyze Support.